Thursday, June 22, 2017

Catch up from the past three weeks!

June 19

Someone thought I was from Argentina this last week!! Wahoo, not 100% gringo!!

Finally living out my dreams as a soccer player. We play Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday in morning. I'm no Ronaldo, but my skills aren't that "Messi" hahaha (sorry my humor in English has degraded to weak puns)

Fruit here is so flipping good. Fresh, cheap,  and chemical free! I can buy like 12 waleles (bananas) for 5 Bs (less than a dollar, about 70 cents). ¡Super rico por desayuno!

Tried a potent but super rico combination of soy sauce, garlic, and ají. Definitely underestimated how hot it would be; I drenched my chicken and rice in it. Oh baby I was sweating haha! Email me if you want the recipe

Every Sunday the members of our ward have us over for lunch and dinner. At night we were gathered around the table chatting. Hermanita Selia, she about 6 years old started talking to me about computer games. I asked her if she liked to play Solitare, Minesweeper or Barbie or something like that. Nope-
"Vice City."
wow definitely was not expecting that hahahahahaha xD

We had the opportunity to help out at a hospital on Saturday. One of our investigators, Elizabeth works/studies there. We danced, played games, and did magic tricks with the kids. It felt good to cheer them up:) We all had a good time.

Elder Santos and I were visiting a family of our recent converts, when Hermana Mariluz shared her testimony. She told us about her childhood; how both of her parents died, living as an orphan, the abusive homes she lived in. But despite all her hardship, despite feeling like she had every reason to give up or to be angry with God, she kept her faith. She kept praying. Eventually she came in contact with the missionaries. She recognized the truthfulness of our message and was baptized. She always tells us how much the gospel has blessed her life. She is a huge example to me. I am so blessed to know her.

We might not always understand why life is the way it is. In our trials we often think things such as "What is the meaning of all this? Why do I have to suffer? Why doesn't God help more?" In our mortal minds, we sometimes think we can comprehend or even improve the grand and eternal plan that Heavenly Father has for us. As with most questions, the answer can be found in the Book of Mormon:

Mosiah 4:9
Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.

I testify that God lives. He loves us with a perfect love. He has given us a perfect plan, by which we can live with Him and our families for eternity. If you want to know more about this plan, read the Book of Mormon, talk to the missionaries or email me!

Love and miss you all.


Les extraño,


Elder McClune 





June 12

Busy but rather uneventful week.

Had a couple intercambios. It was cool to work with some different Elders and meet their investigators.

We had a service project for la Familia Chihuanto. We cut grass and cleaned up the yard. After we finished it quickly degraded into taking epic pictures hahahaha

Aldo came to visit me again! Man I love seeing that guy. He's doing really well. Made my day to hear that he's been reading his scriptures daily.

Awesome scripture from my personal study:

John 8:12

12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

My purpose as a missionary is to invite others to come unto Christ- our Brother, our Savior, and the Light of the world. I know that it is only through Christ that we can find true peace and happiness. Please, come unto Christ. It can start small- by praying, reading the scriptures, and going to church. He is waiting, ready to help and bless you. I promise you that he can change your life. I know that he's changed mine.







Les extraño,

Elder McClune


June 5

I had a hot shower for the first time in 7 months. It was heaven.

The only problem is that the water is heated inside the shower head (electricity). If you touch the handle to adjust the pressure you get a nice little shock to wake ya up hahahaha

Elder Santos and I went to the "River" Huaytú, the boundary of our area. I was kind of expecting something like the Amazon River.....nope hahaha. Really made me miss the good 'ol Columbia





This last Saturday I was blessed with the opportunity to baptize Hermano Miguel Vargas. When the missionaries first tried to visit him, he wouldn't listen. Said that he would never step foot into the chapel. But Elder Santos and I coaxed him into  recieving us and bit by bit we became friends. He cracks me up; he's always got a joke or two and his laugh is the best. He loves the gospel and he is such a good guy. These last two weeks we were praying that Miguel would recieve an answer to his prayers about if he should be baptized. Then his brother showed up because he had a feeling he should visit him. Turns out he's a member of the church! He enouraged Miguel to be baptized. After his baptism I asked him how he felt- "¡Más fresco que una lechuga!" ("Fresher than lettuce!") hahahahahaha
After his baptism he shared his testimony. It was short and simple, but so powerful. One of the things I admire most about Hermano Miguel is his humility, and how he acknowledges God in every aspect of his life. I've learned alot from him. In one year he can enter the temple with his family and be sealed together for time and eternity. That's what makes the mission worthwhile; seeing people come closer to God, and finding true, lasting happiness in the gospel.


Love and miss you all! Congrats and good luck to the graduates of 2017!


Les quiero muchisimo,



Elder McClune

No comments:

Post a Comment