Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Christ-like attributes

Super busy week. Loving the mission!

Hijo mio, Elder Ritchie, was in Trinidad for half the week, so Elder Maccerhua and I were working together again for a few days. Got a lot done and had a good time doing it!

Found another tarantula in the house this last week... lil bugga chased me butt-naked out of the shower hahaha

I was blessed with the opportunity to baptize Hermano Armando. Great kid, very happy for him:)


Cambios this Tuesday. We'll find out who's bouncing and who's staying. SUPER NERVOUS. I love Riberalta and I don't want to leave yet. Nevertheless, I'll go where the Lord wants me to go.

During my personal study, I reflected on Christ-like attributes. As Christians, we are followers of Jesus Christ; he is our example and role model in every aspect of our lives. There are may wonderful traits that can be attirbuted to Christ for example; faith, hope, charity and love, virtue, knowledge, patience, humility, diligence, and obedience.  A children's song I grew up singing in church, "I'm Trying to Be like Jesus"

I’m trying to be like Jesus;
I’m following in his ways.
I’m trying to love as he did, in all that I do and say.
At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice,
But I try to listen as the still small voice whispers,
[Chorus]
“Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught.”

I’m trying to love my neighbor;
I’m learning to serve my friends.
I watch for the day of gladness when Jesus will come again.
I try to remember the lessons he taught.
Then the Holy Spirit enters into my thoughts, saying:
[Chorus]
“Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught.”

And from one of my favorite talks by Elder Jeffery R. Holland, "Be Ye Therefore Perfect--Eventually" 



My brothers and sisters, except for Jesus, there have been no flawless performances on this earthly journey we are pursuing, so while in mortality let’s strive for steady improvement without obsessing over what behavioral scientists call “toxic perfectionism.”12 We should avoid that latter excessive expectation of ourselves and of others and, I might add, of those who are called to serve in the Church—which for Latter-day Saints means everyone, for we are all called to serve somewhere.
In that regard, Leo Tolstoy wrote once of a priest who was criticized by one of his congregants for not living as resolutely as he should, the critic concluding that the principles the erring preacher taught must therefore also be erroneous.
In response to that criticism, the priest says: “Look at my life now and compare it to my former life. You will see that I am trying to live out the truth I proclaim.” Unable to live up to the high ideals he taught, the priest admits he has failed. But he cries:
“Attack me, [if you wish,] I do this myself, but [don’t] attack … the path I follow. … If I know the way home [but] am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way simply because I am staggering from side to side?
“… Do not gleefully shout, ‘Look at him! … There he is crawling into a bog!’ No, do not gloat, but give … your help [to anyone trying to walk the road back to God.]”13
Brothers and sisters, every one of us aspires to a more Christlike life than we often succeed in living. If we admit that honestly and are trying to improve, we are not hypocrites; we are human. May we refuse to let our own mortal follies, and the inevitable shortcomings of even the best men and women around us, make us cynical about the truths of the gospel, the truthfulness of the Church, our hope for our future, or the possibility of godliness. If we persevere, then somewhere in eternity our refinement will be finished and complete—which is the New Testament meaning of perfection.14
I testify of that grand destiny, made available to us by the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ, who Himself continued “from grace to grace”15 until in His immortality16 He received a perfect fulness of celestial glory.17 I testify that in this and every hour He is, with nail-scarred hands, extending to us that same grace, holding on to us and encouraging us, refusing to let us go until we are safely home in the embrace of Heavenly Parents. For such a perfect moment, I continue to strive, however clumsily. For such a perfect gift, I continue to give thanks, however inadequately. I do so in the very name of Perfection itself, of Him who has never been clumsy or inadequate but who loves all of us who are, even the Lord Jesus Christ, amen.


Jesus Christ is our Brother, Lord, Savior, and Redeemer. True, everlasting peace and happiness is possible because of Him. He is the Light, and He has shown us the way. Let us follow it, because it is the only way that will lead us home to our Heavenly Father. I may not be anywhere even close to perfect, but I know that with His help I can get there. 


Les quiero muchisimo,

Elder McClune











No comments:

Post a Comment